The new state of the art Cardiac Catherization Laboratory of the Mediterranean Hospital of Cyprus is operating in the Hybrid Room of the Hospital. The so called “Cath Lab” is where a variety of invasive procedures are performed including coronary angiography, coronary angioplasty (more on services below).
The majority of interventions are performed on a day care basis and patients are usually awake during the procedures.
The Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory:
- Covers both elective and Urgent cases on a 24 hour basis
- Supports the Accident and Emergency Department of the Hospital for patients requiring urgent treatment for suspected heart attacks (acute myocardial infarction - AMI)
- Is supported by the newly developed Cardiac Care Unit (CCU)
- Has rapid access to and is supported by the Coronary Care and Intensive Care Units
- Has direct access to and is supported by the Cardiac Surgery Team
Any procedure in the Cardiac Catheterization Lab starts with a Coronary Angiography which is an invasive test to find out whether or not there are any narrowing’s or blockages in the coronary (heart) arteries and how well the heart is pumping.
- Cardiac Catheterization / Coronary Angiography
- Right Heart Catheterisation
- Percutaneous Coronary Intervention, (Angioplasty / Stenting)
- Permanent Pacemaker Insertion
- Cardiac Resynchronisation Therapy
- Implantable Cardiac Defibrillator
- Loop Recorder Insertion and Removal
- IntraVascular Ultrasound (IVUS)
- Fractional Flow Reserve (FFR)
About the Team
Led by Dr. Ioannis Stathopoulos, MD, the Cardiac Catheterization Lab is operational any time of the day, ready to respond to any patient’s needs. The Lab is covered by a number of specialists including well experienced nursing staff and a clinical specialist radiographer.
Dr. Ioannis Stathopoulos, Md,
Chief of Cardiology Services
Tel. +(357) 25 200 000, +(357) 99 101 122 (24h)